New update of Free Flash VDI Calculator – v 2.7 brigs new features.
New update to the free tool by Andre Leibovici. Flash VDI calculator is an online tool (in Flash interface) to help you size your VDI projects. The tool is part of my Free Tools page here. Have a look at the online manual at Andre’s blog.
What’s new in the 2.7 release?
- Added support for storage array caching calculation capabilities
- Added support for storage block de-duplication
- Added configuration validations based on storage protocol (Block and File)
- Added support for VAAI (vStorage API for Array Integration) validations
- Added higher degree of control over refresh cycle for floating pools
- Small UI changes
Caching – Intelligent arrays make use of DRAM and/or SSD memory to store most accessed blocks in memory. Memory stored in memory do not require backend spindle access, therefore reducing the total requirements on the backend. This is a powerfull option but should be used with caution. Normally is not possible to know the caching ratio until a project pilot is done.
Block De-duplication – Some arrays have either in-line block de-duplication or offline block de-duplication that helps to reduce the total capacity requirement. The de-duplication ratio for VDI deployments is normally high due to the block communality across multiple Windows desktop VMs. This is a powerful option but should be used with caution. Normally is not possible to know the caching ratio until a project pilot is done.
This tool as many others can be found at my Free Tools page. I can also recommend to have a look at my Free Resources page, where you can find some high quality whitepapers (in PDF) concerning virtualization, architecture, backup and other ….. Those papers are free to download at the partner’s websites.
Latest posts by Vladan SEGET (see all)
- New Visio Stencils for VMware and Hyper-V from Veeam – free download - March 10, 2014
- VCP for life – are you in? - March 8, 2014
- Official VMware VSAN Design and Sizing Guide (PDF) - March 8, 2014