- My article on How-to run Hyper-V 2012 on ESXi 5.1 Free - as a nested hypervisor.
- VMware Workstation – How to run Hyper-V as nested hypervisor.
- Windows Server 2012 licensing in virtual environments – simulation for smaller shops
New Microsoft Licensing for virtual infrastructure (and vMotion):
Windows Server 2012 are Physical Processor based lic. where single license covers two physical CPUs. Two editions (Standard – which allows to run Two VMs with 2 CPU each and Datacenter – unlimited number of VMs).
Remember about you can only reassign the Windows license once every 90 days with the Standard edition. That applies to using technologies like vMotion on your virtual machines. If you license Datacenter then you have unlimited virtualization rights and do not have to worry about reassigning Windows licenses.
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 (Free Version)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (Trial)
- RSAT for Windows 8…
- Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Solution Accelerator released (My Article)
Free Microsoft Online Labs:
- Introduction to Hyper-V 3.0
- Failover Clustering
- Managing Virtual Machine Failover
- PowerShell Management
The authors, Brian Posey, with Pete Zerger and Chris Henley goes quite deep in the topics and provides many screenshots through the document, which is btw 142 pages long.
Microsoft with the recent release of Windows Server 2012 is closing the gap and catching up VMware. This pushes VMware to innovate even more, get more free software into the basic vSphere Essentials Plus bundle. This bundle which has now several products integrated. This wasn’t the case in 2011. Products like vSphere Replication, vSphere Data Protection, and features like new Enhanced vMotion, just did not existed.
Latest posts by Vladan SEGET (see all)
- VCP for life – are you in? - March 8, 2014
- Official VMware VSAN Design and Sizing Guide (PDF) - March 8, 2014
- VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) Launch and Configuration Maximums - March 7, 2014