Trilead VM Explorer 6.0 has been released few days back. It’s already 6th version that Trilead is releasing and their backup and replication software gets better and better with each release. The young Swiss company continues to enhance and develop the product which is one of the easiest to deploy and configure, while keeping the costs down for the clients via their unique licensing model – Per Site Model. So instead of buying per-socket (or per-vm) license smaller clients without much budget are still able to have a backup protection for their environment with per site license.
Depending on the size of the environment, many times single license can cover the whole environment. The new release introduces automatic backup testing, cloud backup and a new web interface. Along with latest VMware support, the product now has a support for Microsoft Hyper-V 2012R2 (backup, restore and replication).
There is 10 days trial available which after expiry turns itself into a free (limited) product, which can still backup VMs, but no incremental backups are possible and no scheduled backups either. The pricing of the standard edition is EUR 650.00 / USD 790.00 where the Enterprise edition’s cost is EUR 1200.00 / USD 1460.00. I repeat it’s a not per-socket pricing but per-site pricing…
The solution can backup running VMs on ESXi or Hyper-V where after first full backup only incremental backups (which are smaller in size) are executed. This technique allows to keep the backup window small enough to be able to backup all the VMs in an environment. With VMs larger in size year after year this has become necessity in virtual environments.
What’s new in Trilead VM Explorer 6.0?
Tape Support – Supports for tape drives, auto-loaders and tape libraries to archive critical backups to tape media. Yes, quite important feature if you ask me.
Storage Snapshots – Instead of snapshoting a running VM, the snapshots leverage storage snapshots (must be supported by the hardware). The storage snapshot for EMC ScaleIO is the curently supported option. By leveraging those storage snapshots you reduce impact on the production environment.
Backup Testing – Automatic backup testing to verify the correct start of the VMs.
The enterprise edition has:
- Instant VM Recovery (IVMR)
- Support for vMotion on IVMR
- File Level Restore from the cloud
- Automated test on cloud backups
- Multi user interface with Active Directory Integration
- VMware VSAN support
- Encrypted backups
- Storage Snapshots with ScaleIO
Both the Pro Edition and Enterprise Editions Provide:
- Powerful web interface (EN, IT, DE)
- Backup and incremental backup for ESX/ESXi, ESXi free and Hyper-V
- Replication and incremental replication for ESX/ESXi3) and Hyper-V
- Tape backup
- Automated backup test
- File date check
- Partition check
- Heartbeats test
- Public and private cloud backup (Amazon S3, Rackspace, Open Stack, HP Cloud)
- vCenter and Hyper-V cluster support
- Application-consistent backup using VSS4)
- File Level Restore (LVM, LDM, FAT, NTFS and EXT partition)
- Email notification
- Transparent and simple pricing model
- Free email support
Trilead has been here for a couple of years already. I met them again this year, during VMworld Barcelona. It’s a very young company which does a very good job by keeping this, small in size, piece of software as simple as possible, while adding useful features that users are asking for.
Trilead Web Page: Trilead.com
Other post covering HPE/Trilead VM Explorer:
- Web Based Interface Only for HPE VM Explorer 6.2
- Trilead 6.1 With New Web UI
- HPE/Trilead VM Explorer – Backup your first VM
- VM Explorer 6.1 Released
- HPE VM Explorer with StoreOnce – Get 1TB of Deduplicated Storage for Free
- What’s new in Trilead VM Explorer 6.0?