Win a TurboStack Homelab!
This offer is for all “homelabbers”. You can participate and possibly win a homelab pre-loaded with VMturbo (incl. license) and Openstack.
The TurboStack was created to enable you to experiment with OpenStack safely in your own home lab. Leveraging the OpenStack Juno build, the TurboStack also includes a full NFR License to VMTurbo 5.2.
Every TurboStack Home Lab is individually assembled by a VMTurbo engineer and includes:
- 1x Intel NUC NUC5i5RYK
- 2x Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM
- 1x 256GB Samsung 850 Evo mSATA Drives
- 1x Synology DS415 4-Bay NAS
- 2x Western Digital 1TB 3.5″ SATA Drives
- 1x Cisco SG300 10-Port Gigabit Managed Switch
- 5x Ethernet Cables
Winners will be determined by a random drawing occurring on November 30.
To participate, use this link! On that page, watch the video and fill in a form to participate.
VMware Workstation 12 Released!
The following support is new in Workstation 12 Pro:
- Full support of Windows 10
VMware Workstation Pro provides the following support for Windows 10:
- Run Windows 10 as a virtual machine
- Run Windows 10 as a host operating system
- Windows 10 Auto Detect and Easy Install
- Unity support for Windows 10
- Migrate Windows 10 PC to a virtual machine
- New guest operating systems support
Support has been added for the following operating systems:
- Ubuntu 15.04
- Fedora 22
- CentOS 7.1
- RHEL 7.1
- Oracle Linux 7.1
- VMware Project Photon
- Advanced graphics
Support has been added for the following standards:
- DirectX 10
- OpenGL 3.3
- Performance improvements for suspending and resuming encrypted virtual machines
- Improved vCloud Air Integration (Workstation Pro on Windows only)
- Power operation on remote virtual machines
- Enhanced user experience
- Support IPv6 NAT network
- Tear away tabs
You can drag open tabs out of the Workstation Pro window into new or already existing Workstation Pro windows.
- Automatically suspend virtual machines upon host shutdown
- Support 4K monitors with high resolution UI
- Support for multiple monitors with different DPI settings
- Echo cancellation for voice and video calls with Microsoft Lync and Skype
- Added USB 3.0 support to Windows 7 virtual machines (with the latest Intel USB driver)
- Improved standard installer
- Added NAT network configuration in Virtual Network Editor on Linux hosts
- Respect left-handed mouse setting on Windows host
Simplivity Partners With Lenovo
New partnership between Simplivity and their hyper converged software architecture, with Lenovo and their server platform. Simplivity has already strong partnership with Cisco and Dell and there is no doubt that third partnership in this field will enhance Simplivity’s position in this field.
Veeam Vanguard Program
Veeam announced Veeam Vanguard program, which is a new program for Veeam community. It’s similar program like vExpert or MVP programs which are well known programs for tech communities.
During the First round only 31 individuals were chosen for their engagement and their online (and offline) activities. Veeam Vanguard program has just started and we’ll see how it goes in the future.
Veeam was one of the products which stud out from the crowd since their beginning.
A Veeam Vanguard represents our brand to the highest level in many of the different technology communities in which we engage. These individuals are chosen for their acumen, engagement and style in their activities on and offline.
The Veeam Vanguard program is managed by Veeam Product Strategy Team and supported by Veeam as a company. Quite a few people are part of the team and I met few of them during my VMworld Europe activities and #TFD events. You can check Rick Vanover’s post about the program here. As for now I’m certainly honored to be part of the program … -:)
Check the VCP6-DCV Page !!!
- vSphere 6 Foundations Exam
- VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV) Exam
- VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV) Delta Exam
Xangati Now Montitors Xen!
Xangati is now able to monitor Citrix XEN server.
VMturbo can now run at Amazon AWS
VMturbo just released their software to AWS Marketplace as a SaaS offering. Now customers can run VMTurbo in Amazon Web Services and point it to their virtual infrastructure, instead of running it in their environment.
Quote from VMturbo’s blog:
You can now subscribe to Operations Manager and deploy the AMI in less than 3 minutes (it took me 2, with most of the time spent watching it spin up). You can then start adding targets and getting actions to bring your data center to its desired state where application performance is assured while maximizing utilization.
Check out the full post at VMturbo!
VM Explorer 5.4 released
- Encrypted Backups (Enterprise)
VM Explorer can now secure your backups and incremental backups using XTS-AES 128 bit encryption algorithm. Your data is now protected and only with the correct encryption keys a File Level Restore or a VM Restore can be performed.
- LVM and LDM support for File Level Restore
It is now possible to restore singe files from Linux LVM and Microsoft LDM partitions.
- Copy Backup Task
VM Explorer can create a copy of one or more existing backups to a different target destination. This feature is very useful when duplicating backups offsite without involving the hypervisor server.
- Custom SSL certificates selection
It is possible to select a custom SSL certificate when configuring VM Explorer web interface using HTTPS protocol.
To try the new features of VM Explorer 5.4, please click here to download
StarWind presents a video with Jon Toigo from Data Management Institute talking about the trends in virtualization and where the storage goes.
Watch the video and learn how Hyper-Converged platform can optimize your storage and save up to 40% of costs.
SAN Must Die!
Do you hate SANs as we hate them? No, seriously? They were great place to store your grandfather’s Oracle database, but why the heck would anyone use them to store Virtual Machine images? SANs were never designed to handle virtualization workload! Also, with today’s high-capacity spindles, PCIe attached flash and 40 Gb Ethernet all being commodities, it’s simpler, faster and cheaper to use virtual shared storage for virtualization purposes. Get your cure to SANs disease free, now, right here.
Technical Paper ‘StarWind Virtual SAN providing repositories for XenServer Pool’
Are you an experienced XenServer and Windows system admin?
Would you like to add StarWind® virtual storage to your XenServer Pool?
Then you surely need some step-by-step instructions!
You are welcome to check this document to find them all here ‘StarWind Virtual SAN providing repositories for XenServer Pool’.
Yet another success by StarWind!
StarWind has recently acquired Citrix XenServer 6.5 Certification, completing the list of certifications, adding to those from VMware(vSphere 6.0 & vSphere 5.5 Certifications) and Microsoft (Windows Server 2012 R2).
What this means is that StarWind Virtual SAN is eligible for Microsoft, VMware and Citrix support services, being part of HCL.
To achieve this kind of acknowledgement, StarWind Virtual SAN passed a series of tests to prove the product’s compatibility as part of these vendors’ joint solutions.
It’s fair to say that StarWind now has every “MUST HAVE” certification
This document is aimed to describe how to enable vStorage APIs for Array Integration in the system in order to decrease the workload on the network part and offload certain ammount of hypervisor operations to the storage side. Additionaly it explains how to verify if VAAI works properly.
Check it out here!
2-node VM Storage for Free by StarWind
New Technical Papers:
Starwind – 4 scenarios of Storage Replication:
Storage Replica with Failover Cluster and File Server Role (Windows Server Technical Preview) http://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/storage-replication-for-failover-cluster-with-file-server-role-on-windows-server-technical-preview/
Storage Replica with Microsoft Failover Cluster and Scale-out File Server role (Windows Server Technical Preview) http://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/storage-replication-for-scale-out-file-servers-on-windows-server-technical-preview/
Storage Replica with Microsoft Failover Cluster and Clustered Hyper-V VM role (Windows Server Technical Preview) http://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/storage-replica-with-microsoft-failover-cluster-and-clustered-hyper-v-vm-role-windows-server-technical-preview/
Storage Replica with Microsoft Failover Cluster and Guest VM Cluster role (Windows Server Technical Preview) http://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/storage-replica-with-microsoft-failover-cluster-and-guest-vm-cluster-role-windows-server-technical-preview/
Get your Free NFR !!
Free NFR license for New StarWind SAN V8 is available for IT certified professionals.
To get free license is necessary to register here.
- Massive Scale-Out storage architecture
- Creates fault tolerant shared storage with unlimited number of nodes
- Asynchronous WAN-replication
- Ensures efficient disaster recovery plan
- L2 Flash Cache
- Works with RAM as a L1 cache to boost the efficiency
- In-line deduplication and thin provisioning with space reclaim
- Reduces storage expenses dramatically and accelerates VM storage performance
- Simplified and improved GUI
- Provides Windows Server 2012 style, step-by-step wizards and support of PowerShell scripting
- Support of SMI-S interface for integration with Windows System Center R2
- Makes cloud storage administration easier
- Log-Structured File System (LSFS)*
- Eliminates random writes for VM storage