VMware Certifications – New look and free PDF. VMware Certification path has changed few months back. It’s worth to mention that the The VMware Education site got new redesign. The certification structure change about which you were able to read about in my earlier post – New VMware Certification Roadmap, you have multiple choices to specialize further in VMware technology.
There is also a PDF which has been released with new graphics representing the up-to-date information about which courses are currently available, and which ones are in preparation.
You can get this PDF by going to VMware Education – Public Course Catalog page and click up right on the link, which will lead you to the document.
The document itself is a 2 pages PDF which recap all available certifications and levels. With three levels of possible certification:
- Advanced Professional
Depending on your interest, which specialization you’ll take, the Cloud, Datacenter Virtualization, End user Computing or Cloud Application platform, you can build your skills starting with the VCP as a base certification.
As you can see, the Advanced professional level of certifications, for example the Cloud section still have some exams that are in preparation. But it will give you a good overview and choice you have.
For the “Cloud” oriented branch:
VCAP-CID New - CID stands for Cloud Infrastructure Design.
VCP-Cloud – 2 possible paths:
Path 1. You’re VCP5-DCV – then you can just pass the IaaS exam. There is a non required course called VMware vCloud: Deploy and Manage the VMware Cloud.
Path 2: You’re not VCP5-DCV – then you must attend the VMware vCloud: Deploy and Manage the VMware Cloud.
The IaaS exam has VCPVCD510 exam has 85 questions and a short pre-exam survey consisting of 8 questions. By passing the exam, you’ll validate your vCD knowledges.
There is a Iaas Blueprint (latest version 1.2), which will give you the necessary guidelines for your study.
Wha’s knowledges are necessary?
- Install and Configure vCloud Director
- Administer Users, Roles, and Privileges in a vCloud
- Configure and Administer vCenter Chargeback
- vCloud Networking, and vCloud Organizations
- Allocate and Manage vCloud Resources
- Create and Administer vCloud Catalogs
- Monitor a vCloud Implementation
To be able to achieve the VCAP-CID certification level and pass the exam, you’ll have to:
1. Be VCP5-DCV or VCP-Cloud or VCAP5-DCA or VCAP5-DCD or VCDX5-DCV ……
2. Pass the VCAP-CID exam. As a side note that if you’re already VCAP5-DCA or VCAP5-DCD or VCDX5 and you pass the VCAP-CID exam, you’l automatically inherit the VCP-Cloud Certification.
The VMware Education page: VMware Education – Public Course Catalog
For the “Datacenter Virtualization” oriented branch:
The VCDX 5 can be achieved by two different ways:
Path 1: By upgrading your existing VCDX 4 certification: Pass VCP5-DV and pass VCAP-DCD exam….
Path 2: Be VCAP5-DCA and also VCAP-DCD > then submit VCDX5 application that is accepted > and present and defend a VMware vSphere based VI design and implementation plan.
For the “End User Computing” oriented branch:
VCAP-DTD New - The DTD stands for “Desktop Design”
To became VCAP-DTD you’ll have to:
1. You have to be VCP5-DT certified, which is desktop version of the VCP5 certification OR be VCP5-DV.
2. Then you’ll have to pass the VCAP-DTD Exam
The VMware Education Page: VMware Education – Public Course Catalog
Latest posts by Vladan SEGET (see all)
- VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) 1.0 GA – FAQ, Pricing and Design Options - March 12, 2014
- VMware vSphere 5.5 Update 1 Released - March 12, 2014
- Synology Disk Station Manager 5.0 download available - March 11, 2014