VMware has finally released a VCP 6 Certification Exam. Still in beta for now and there is also a new vSphere 6 Foundation Beta exam. We’ll see the details in this post. The new exam was announced by VMware few days back and we can see that new candidates will now need to take two exams in addition to a required course.
UPDATE: Check out my VCP6-DCV Study Guide Page which start taking shape !!!
Now it depends on what you have done before or not. If you were certified (and now you expired) or you’re still VCP (current). There are different requirements. Depending on if you never had an occasion to pass a VCP exam or if you have already passed some exam(s) there are different certification paths available.
1. For people which had never been certified – you’ll need to get some experience with vSphere 6. What to do? Attend one of the required training courses – course list and then pass the vSphere 6 Foundations (beta) Exam which has single and multiple choice questions. Then Complete the VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Beta Exam (authorization for the exam is here)
2. Folks that went through VCP 5 training but are not certified VCP will have to attend What’s New course (V5.5 to V6) and complete the vSphere 6 Foundations Beta Exam. Then they’ll have to complete the VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Beta Exam. (authorization is here)
1. You hold a current VCP for any solution track you don’t need to attend a course but VMware recommends vSphere What’s new (V5.5 to V6) and then pass one of those exams:
- VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Beta Exam – (Request Authorization here)
- VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Delta Beta Exam – (Request Authorization here)
2. Folks which hold an expired VCP certification for any solution track
- Have to attend one of the required courses – list
- Complete the vSphere 6 Foundations Beta Exam – authorization here
- And Complete the VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Beta Exam – authorization here
What is that VCP 6 Foundations Beta exam?
vSphere 6 Foundations Beta Exam Single and Multiple Choice.
This certification that validates your ability to deploy, configure, administer and scale a vSphere 6 virtualized data center, including administering and troubleshooting virtualization technologies:
vSphere HA and DRS Clusters
Storage virtualization using VMFS
Storage DRS and Storage I/O Control
Network virtualization using vSphere standard and distributed switches and Network I/O Control
vSphere management using vCenter Server and vRealize Operations Manager Standard
VMware vSphere 6 Certification Roadmap (courtesy of VMware Learning).
Some FAQs: (from VMware education)
Q: Do I have to complete the requirements in the order listed?
A: No, however we strongly recommend that you do so. Also, please note that receiving authorization to take an exam does not imply that you meet the certification requirements in full.
Q: Will the VCP6-DCV re-certify my soon to expire VCP certification?
A: Yes, by passing the VCP6-DCV exam you will successfully re-certify.
As you can see it’s never good to let expire your VCP as you’ll have to go through the Required training course again… Certification is like Never ending story. Once you finish one, another is ready to be taken… -:) It’s up to you and your career if you want to follow the path…
Update: Check also this VMware blog post about the Availability. Yes, the dates are now available!
Source: VMware Blog