After last week’s update for VMware Workstation 9.0.3 there has been an update for VMware Fusion users. VMware Fusion and Fusion Pro, the release 5.0.3. This release is also a maintenance release, which brings several fixes and new features, which one of theme is worth to mention directly here. It’s the support for large 3Tb hard drives for the Boot Camp partition. In fact, last week with the release of 10.8.3 of OS X, the support for Windows 8 was announced.
As usually, many bug fixes are solved in this release, plus better support for Office 2013 and better support performance in Unity Mode. Users of VMware Fusion which uses a OS X Mountain Lion are strongly advised to upgrade to the latest release, which is the OS X 10.8.3.
What’s new in VMware Fusion 5.0.3?
- Added support for Boot Camp partitions on 3TB disk drives.
- Improved the cursor performance for select applications, especially when in Unity mode.
- McAfee AntiVirus Plus updated with Windows 8 support.
- Resolved an issue that could result in blurry graphics under certain circumstances.
- Resolved an issue that resulted in horizontal scrolling being reversed in Unity mode.
- Resolved an issue with displaying Office 2013 applications on some recent Macs.
- Improvements to vSockets.
Links and resources:
- VMware Fusion 5.0.3 Professional - Restricted VMs, Virtualized VT-X/EPT…
- VMware Fusion 5.0.3 - Run Windows on MAC
- Save Big on VMware Workstation 9 & Fusion 5 - VMware Academic Store
VMware Fusion 5 brought over 70 new features including better performance, faster graphics and an enhanced UI geared for productivity. Fusion Pro 5 can also create restricted VMs, where the corporate image VM’s properties can’t get modified by the end users. Make sure to check out my article on those features that has been introduced in Fusion 5 and Fusion Pro 5.