Free Standalone HyperVisor called Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 was released this thursday. It is a free product from Microsoft. What it looks like? It looks like the Windows 2008 server CORE installation. You will need to make quite a few steps to make this machine behave… -:).
You will have to rename the machine and give it an IP adress for you to get started. You will have to do it by using command line interface because there is no start menu available with the Hyper-V Server, like in the Windows 2008 core installation. You might be using ESX Server, but this is another song…. so here is a little how-to for you to get started.
How you can change the machine's hostname and give it an IP adress:
1.) First you'll have to know what is the current name of your machine. Type in hostname and you will see what is the name of your host.
2.) Then there is another commands that you will need to use to change the computer name.
netdom renamecomputer %computername% /NewName:<new computer name> /userd:<domain\username> /password:*
3.) After you renamed your computer, dont restart yet (actually how do I restart?????). Wait and read more…. You gona give to your host an IP adress. It's not easy and it's fast can became frustrating if you make a typo or so….
netsh interface ipv4 set address name=”<IDx>” source=static address=<StaticIP> mask=<SubnetMask> gateway=<DefaultGateway>
IDx is the number from the image above
- StaticIP is the static IP address that you are setting
- SubnetMask is the subnet mask for the IP address
- DefaultGateway is the default gateway
To finaly restart your computer type:
shutdown /r /t 0
After that you can manage your Hyper-V Server from your vista computer by using the MMC provided by microsoft.
Before you install note that:
- Hyper-V Server 2008 is a 64-bit only technology and requires a 64-bit capable hardware with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled. (I can succesfully run Hyper-V Server inside of VMware Workstation 6.5 the same way as I do for ESX Server because the processor on my laptop uses Intel VT technology )
- Processor : Intel Pentium 4, Xeon, Core 2 DUO processor; AMD Opteron, Athlon 64, Athlon X2, . Hardware Data Execution Protection (DEP) must be available and be enabled. Specifically, you must enable Intel XD bit (execute disable bit) or AMD NX bit (no execute bit).
- Minimum CPU speed : 1 GHz; Recommended: 2 GHz or faster
- RAM : Minimum: 1 GB RAM; Recommended: 2+ GB RAM; Maximum 32 GB
- Required Available disk space: 2GB of available hard disk space (additional disk space needed for each guest operating system)
You liked this article? You can subscribe to my RSS feed here .