UPdate ESXi 4.1 without Vmware Update Manager.
If you're using the free version of VMware Hypervisor you might want to know how to upgrade to the latest version if you don't have VMware Update Manager. I'll show you the exact steps which are necessary to be able to update ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 4.1 update 1 – free version of VMware Hypervizor.
If you just starting to test ESXi 4.1 Free version, it's ok, but if you put your Free ESXi in production, consider of buying a license. The vSphere Essentials Kit starts at $611. This permits you to manage 3 Hosts….. -:) and it does give you an access to update manager where you can manage you patches via the GUI.
You'll need few things before you can start the patching process. You'll need the upgrade file and VMware vCLI.
01. First of all you'll need to download the update package for ESXi 4.1. Go to this adress and download the zip file (206 Mb).
02. Download VMware vCLI here and install it on your Windows box.
03. Copy the downloaded ZIP package – the update-form-esxi4.1-4.1_update01.zip to the bin directory of WMware vCli.
04. Open the vCLI command prompt and CD to the c:Program FilesVMwareVMware vSphere CLIbin directory
05. Now you will need to use the command vihost update in folowing format: vihostupdate –server host name or IP address -i -b location of the ESXi upgrade ZIP bundle -B ESXi4.1-to-ESXi4.1UPDATE01
Enter: “perl vihostupdate.pl –server 192.168.1.10 –username root –password password -i -b update-from-esxi4.1-4.1_update01.zip”
Now, if you don't put your host in maintenance mode first you'll get a message complaining about that….
You'll see the updating process running and when you'll want to connect to your ESXi 4.1 host again with your vSphere Client, the vSphere client will update itself automatically…..
PS: Here you can find the updates for those 2 version of VMware in those 2 kb articles with the detailed information:
- ESX 4.1 to ESX 4.1 U1 – 472MB
- ESXi 4.1 to ESXi 4.1 U1 – 215MB