VMX Explorer updated..
There is a new version of VMX explorer available. VMX explorer is one of my Top 10 favourite tools to manage virtual infrastructure under VMware.
This tool is a file copy/browse tool and occasionally it does a backup of your Virtual machines too… 😎 . No, really. This tool is a really cool and simple to use. It does provide an easy help assistant for configuring SSH for ESX(i) 4 for example.
There is a Free version and paid version. The licensing is per installation of the software (not per socket), so you can use this product (in it's paid version) on many ESX(i) servers at the same time. The free version is limited to 5 servers and you can backup running VMs and it supports quiescing of the file system when VMware Tools are installed (in Windows VM).
The features which are not present in the free version but you can find them when you buy a license:
– Scheduling of jobs via task scheduler to backup your VMs.
– Reporting via e-mail.
– Backup from ESX 3i/4i to ESX (SAN or local storage), Linux or FreeBSD
– Migrate (clone) VMs from ESX 3.0.X/3.5 to ESX 3i/4i
– Limitation to 5 hosts.
– Command line interface buit in.
– Password protect configuration