How to solve black screen and error message saying “Unable to connect to the MKS”
I had this issue the other day when I was trying to connect to the vCenter at my lab at home and then open a console to one of my VMs.
“Unable to connect to the MKS: Failed to connect to the server (1010828)”
In fact, the VMware tools were running fine in the VM as I could see on the summary tab, but the screen was black on the console window and also in the console tab.
- You cannot open a remote console to a virtual machine.
- Virtual machine console is black (blank).
01. Make sure that your esx(i) server is correctly registered in your DNS and that you have a correct name resolution.
02. You can also try editing your host file on your management workstation….. (C:WindowsSystem32Driversetchosts) and add your ESX server there….
Have a look at those KB from VMware too…
- Identifying issues with and setting up name resolution on ESX Server (1003735)
- Configuring name resolution for VMware VirtualCenter (1003713)
- Cannot open Virtual Machine Console
Latest posts by Vladan SEGET (see all)
- VCP for life – are you in? - March 8, 2014
- Official VMware VSAN Design and Sizing Guide (PDF) - March 8, 2014
- VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) Launch and Configuration Maximums - March 7, 2014