There is a new book (currently in pre-order) which targets administrators who will be virtualizing Oracle DB on VMware vSphere. The book is written by Kannan Mani and Don Sullivan, is available in pre-order at Amazon.
It detailes the architecture, performance, design, sizing, and high availability. It focuses on current versions of Oracle and vSphere, while highlighting differences in esx3.5, 4.x and 5.x where relevant.
Thousands of organizations are virtualizing large-scale Oracle database systems. But, until now, reliable best practices have been hard to find, and database and virtualization professionals have often brought differing and incompatible perspectives to the challenge. Now, there's a comprehensive best practice guide reflecting deep understanding of both Oracle and vSphere, and supported by extensive in-the-field experience with the full spectrum of applications and environments.
Combining theory and practice, Virtualizing Oracle Databases on vSphere integrates up-to-date knowledge for the entire lifecycle, including architecture, performance, design, sizing, and high availability. Both a detailed reference and a practical cookbook.
Virtualizing Oracle DB on VMware vSphere :
- Anticipating issues associated with virtualizing Oracle databases on vSphere
- Architecting, deploying, and operating virtualized Oracle databases
- Virtualizing high database workloads
- Achieving planned and unplanned high availability
- Characterizing workloads and sizing systems
- Understanding Oracle VMware licensing
- Managing, monitoring, and optimizing performance
- Provisioning and automation
- Backup, recovery, and business continuity
- Utilizing official support mechanisms, and more
Virtualizing Oracle Databases On vSphere – the book has 450 pages and shall be available this November. See details and pre-order for benefit the lowest possible price.