To start with VMware certifications, the best way is to pass VCA (VMware certified Associate) – a new entry level VMware certification. Then the VCP and for some of you possibly VCAP exam. There are some excellent Free VCP-DCV and VCAP-DCA Study Guides. They're written by Josh Cohen (@joshcoen) and Jason Langer (@jaslanger). I see those as a not-to-miss or rather must have PDFs if you're serious about VMware certifications.
The documents strictly follow the exams blueprints. A detailed screenshots from the UI and from the CLI sessions explains each chapter of those guides in order you can prepare and pass those exams.
There is tons of other excellent resources out there with many other blogs, including mine, where you can find listed how-to articles or parts or full requirements of the exams blueprint, but those two documents stands out. It's probably because they go deep into each topic which is on the blueprint and follows strictly what's necessary to pass the exam.
Free VCAP5-DCA Study Guide
Get the VCAP5-DCA Unofficial Official Study Guide. For those currently holding their VCP certification and want to take it up a notch, Jason and Josh have you covered with the 248-page VCAP5-DCA study guide. Using this study guide along with hands-on lab time will help you in the three and a half hours, lab-based VCAP5-DCA exam.
Since “DCA” focuses on large and complex virtual infrastructures, after reading the guide you’ll be able to:
- Plan, implement, manage and maintain complex vSphere deployments
- Configure, manage and analyze vSphere log files
- Execute VMware cmdlets and customize scripts using PowerCLI.
The VCAP-DCA exam is live lab exams only so any lab problems (and there are) will slow you down. If you have a lab problems and in addition you don't know your stuff inside out, the chances to pass goes away. You don't have the time to seek the PDF docs provided much. If you do so, you losing your precious time.
Just a side note for planning the exam. Not every Pearson test center is having the possibility to schedule this exam. This is not VCP. For example in France, there are only 3 test centers which are available, so make sure that your usual Pearson test center has this exam on the list.
Excellent VCP5-DCV Blueprint Study Guide with screenshots in colors for studying for VCP Exam. In this 136-page study guide Jason and Josh cover all seven of the exam blueprint sections to help prepare you for the VCP exam.
The VCP Blueprint Guide has 135 pages.
After reading the guide you’ll be able to:
- Plan, install, configure and upgrade vCenter Server and VMware ESXi.
- Configure vSphere Networking and vSphere Storage and administer VMs and vApps.
- Perform basic troubleshooting and alarm management for VMware ESXi hosts and VMs.
The documents are sponsored by Veeam Software.
As I said I also went through the preparation for VCP and VCAP exams. I currently passed the VCAP5-DCD and
studying for the VCAP-DCA passed the VCAP5-DCA too. So, I'm using those guides. If you're in situation like mine, you might want to check out some of my VCAP posts:
- VMware vSphere AutoDeploy – Run some PowerCLI and you’re the Boss
- VCAP Diary – VMware vSphere ESXi Image Builder
- VMware vSphere AutoDeploy – Install and configure
- VCAP Diary – VMware vSphere Host Profiles
- VMware vSphere Host Profiles – options and troubleshooting