Alan Renouf has announced through the PowerCLI blog the news few days back when the main news about VSAN and vSphere 5.5 U1 release. There is a new release of PowerCLI 5.5 R2 (Build 1649237 is VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2) which brings many new support for different products and vSphere. The latest PowerCLI 5.5 R2 works also on x64 bit platforms now, which means that you don't need PowerShell x86 to run PowerCLI as before.
Update: The x64 support and update was needed only for few cmdlets (New/Set-OSCustomizationSpec). The rest of the cmdlets were fully supported on x64 in previous releases already.
Also ipv6 support for vCenter server configured with ipv6, PowerShell 4.0 support.
New Features (not full list):
- Tags management
- EVM management (enhanced vMotion)
- SRM public API exposed throught PowerShell (allows connect and disconnect SRM servers)
- Security management for standard switches and VDS
- vMotion priority with VMotionPriority when used with Move-VM cmdlet.
There are release notes for PowerCLI 5.5 R2 available here, but what's to retain is that the PowerCLI 5.5 R2 brings two main parts:
- vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 R2
- vCloud Director PowerCLI R2
From the release notes:
VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 consists of two components:
- vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 is the core component of the PowerCLI package. It contains five snap-ins with cmdlets for managing vSphere 5.5 features:
VMware.VimAutomation.Core: VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 provides cmdlets for automated administration of the vSphere environment.
VMware.VimAutomation.Vds: VMware VDS PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 provides cmdlets for managing virtual distributed switches and port groups.
VMware.VimAutomation.License: VMware License PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 provides the
Get-LicenseDataManagercmdlet for managing VMware License components.
VMware.ImageBuilder: VMware ImageBuilder PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 provides cmdlets for managing depots, image profiles, and VIBs.
VMware.DeployAutomation: VMware Auto Deploy PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 provides cmdlets that provide an interface to VMware Auto Deploy for provisioning physical hosts with ESXi software.
- vCloud Director PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 is an optional component that you can install during the PowerCLI installation. It provides the VMware vCloud Director PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 snap-in (
VMware.VimAutomation.Cloud) with cmdlets for automating vCloud Director 1.5.1 and 5.1 features. VMware vCloud Director PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 also provides support for automating vCloud Director 5.1 features against vCloud Director 5.5.
Link for Download of PowerCLI 5.5 R2 – download the latest version today from here.
Check the Users Guide for PowerCLI 5.5 R2 here – VMware vSphere PowerCLI 5.5 Release 2 User’s Guide.
Source: PowerCLI blog VMware