Veeam has released important update for the latest Veeam 7 which finally allows backing up vSphere 5.5. The new update is so important that Veeam releasing it as an “R2” – Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0 R2 update.
UPDATE: Check out the latest Patch 3 release!!! – details in my article Veeam 7.0 R2 Patch 3 release brings performance improvements.
Veeam is the first backup vendor to support VMware vSphere 5.5 and Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 R2. In fact there are not only fixes, but also new features. But before I'll list them out there is one important thing to note, which concerns vSphere 5.5 as this needs to be fixed from VMware first:
E1000E vNIC adaptors has been found to crash ESXi host under heavy load. Avoid using them until the patch is available from VMware. For more information, please refer to VMware support KB2059053
Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0 R2 update – New Features:
- vSphere 5.5 support, including support for 62TB virtual disks and virtual hardware v10 virtual machines.
- vCloud Director 5.5 support.
- Support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 as guest virtual machines (VMs).
- Added ability to limit maximum amount of active VM snapshots per datastore to prevent it from being overfilled with snapshot deltas. The default value of 4 active snapshots can be controlled with MaxSnapshotsPerDatastore (REG_DWORD) registry key.
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V and free Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 support, including support for Generation 2 virtual machines.
- Support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1 as guest virtual machines (VMs)
- Support for System Center 2012 R2 Virtual Machine Manager (VMM)
- Support for the installation of Veeam Backup & Replication and its components on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.
Built-in WAN acceleration
- Increased data processing up to 50% with hard drive based cache, and up to 3 times with SSD based cache. Multi-core CPU on source WAN accelerator is recommended to take full advantage of the enhanced data processing engine.
- Added ability for source and target proxy servers to reconnect and resume replication when network connection between source and target site drops for a short period of time.
- Added support for a number of enterprise-class tape libraries with partitioning functionality that allows presenting multiple tape library partitions to the same host.
- Import/export slot interaction has been redesigned to add support for a number of IBM and Oracle tape libraries.
- Added ability for application-aware processing logic to detect passive Microsoft Exchange DAG database present on the VM, and process it accordingly.
- Added support for Exchange CCR clusters.
- User interface should now remember size and positions off the main window, as well as all panels and columns.
Concerning resolved issues, check out the full document at the download page. You can download this patch from here:
Veeam Backup & Replication 7.0 R2 update Version: 184.108.40.2064