VMware Data Recovery is a backup solution which cames with VMware Essential Plus destined for SMB, but you can protect up to 100 Virtual Machines….
In previous parts you were able to see:
- Deployment/Installation inside vCenter and basic network configuration – Part 1
- Vmware Data Recovery – your First backup – Part 2
- How-to restore you VMs – full VM restore Video – Part 3
The VCB framework is using a new VMware Consolidated Backup API. The heart of the system is a Virtual appliance (OVF file which you first need to deploy inside your vCenter…). The good part is that you do not need any agent on the VM to be able to back up your VM. In any case the VM gonna be backed up does not matter which guest OS is running in your VM. Thus using VMware Tools greatly enhances the backup/restore process, because of the VSS capability go quiesce the Windows guest OS and the applications running there.
Remember if you wish to test VDR the minimum size of your Deduplication store is 10 Gigs. You can use NAS, SAN or CIFS (Samba) as a destination.
In this video you will see:
– How-to setup the File Level Restore.
– Recovery of deleted individual files inside of Virtual Machine backed up by VDR.
More on VMware Data Recovery:
[seriesposts name=”vdr” title=”VDR” listtype=ul]