This year I'll be at VMworld Barcelona again. Thanks to VMware for the blogger pass. VMworld US was certainly awesome for those who managed to attend, but not everyone can. The event has been covered great manner by many bloggers and medias, including myself. My VMworld 2014 page is packed with links, however will get more updated with more content during and after Barcelona.
Oh sunny Barcelona…-:) But this year without the stress of exam I'll enjoy the show, sessions, interaction with other vExperts, bloggers, startups and other vendors. Last year I've done it smart way anyway by planning the exam the first possible hour the first day, but still, keep in mind VCAP exam is 4 hours long. This year there are again discounts for certification exams. Check my VMworld 2014 page for that if you're interested.
From the experiences of previous VMworlds I'm not planning trying to see too many sessions, but some of them are possibly just too interesting too miss and meet the presenters at the end of the session is awesome too.
The choice of sessions? It really depends on you. If you're more into networking, or storage. But what's very appealing and very hot this year is EVO:RAIL and the very cool UI. VMware has finally did the final step into the software defined storage with strong partnership with OEM hardware vendors.
One of the examples is Fujitsu here, but depending of customers and the hardware vendor they're working with they will possibly choose another one. EVO: RAIL uses VSAN for the underlying storage so VSAN is here and more and more customers embracing it.
Which kind of sessions to attend?
Impossible to give one shot suggestions. I like to attend sessions where I can see the long-term vision where VMware is heading, even if this is something very relative because the speed of evolution in storage and other areas is awesome. Software defined everything is the future. Latest NSX for vSphere 6.1 (now GA) is the perfect example. I also like deep dive type of sessions.
Here are sessions which I plan to attend, but as being said, the choice is just too large. Note that the sessions are recorded so you can watch them later.
- STO2197 – Storage DRS: Deep Dive and Best Practice
- SDDC1337 – Technical Deep Dive on EVO: RAIL, the new VMware Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Appliance
- NET2745 – vSphere Distributed Switch: Technical Deep Dive
- EUC2039 – Horizon 6 Storage Architecture Concepts: Designing for success in 2014
If you see me around, don't hesitate to come by and say Hi! I'm just an ordinary
geek guy -:)
If you haven't registered yet you can still do so by going via this link – Register for VMworld Barcelona. We are less than 30 days before VMworld!!!
- VMworld 2014 Social Media & Community
- Social Media Guide
- VMworld Bloggers
- VMworld Twitter Hashtags & Streams
- VMworld Photo collections
Arrivals at the Airport and First Day registration
Shuttle drop off/pick-up: Fira Gran Via, North Entrance, Hall 8.0.
Sunday, 12 October: 16:00-20:00
Monday, 13 October: 10:00-20:00
Thursday, 16 October: 12:00-18:00
Shuttle drop off/pick up: Fira Gran Via, North Entrance, Hall 8.0.
Sunday, 12 October: 14:00 – 20:00
Monday, 13 October: 07:00 – 21:00
Tuesday, 14 October: 07:00 – 20:00
Wednesday, 15 October: 07:00 – 00:00
Thursday, 16 October: 08:00 – 16:00
Update: List of VMworld parties
- Sunday – vRockStar (Hard Rock Café, Plazza Catalunya) – 20:30-23:30
- Monday – VMUG Party (Club Catwalk) – 20:00-23:00
- Monday – PernixData (Ocana, Plaza Real) – 21:00-24:00
- Tuesday – Welcome Reception (Solution Exchange) – 17:30-19:00
- Tuesday – Veeam Party (Shoko Club) – 20:00-01:00
- vExpert, VCDX, NSX, – (Ocaña, Placa Real – only invites)- 20:00-22:00
- Wednesday – Hall Crawl (Solution Exchange) – 17:00-19:00
- Wednesday – Zerto Sailing (limited places on the boat !!!) – 18:30-20:00
- Wednesday – VMworld Party (Fira Barcelona) – 19:00-22:00 !
See you there!