VMware has updated vCenter Converter software to match the latest virtual hardware version. vSphere 5.5 has introduced virtual hardware version 10 and converter hasn't been updated since the vSphere 5.5 release. So the latest release – Build 1362012 – brings not only the vmx-10 support but also, and this is surprising, support for converting RedHat KVM VMs.
Another good addon is definitely parallel disk conversions for faster conversions. The release notes says that new guest OS were introduced, but I haven't seen Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2…..
You'll find below the principal new features that has been introduced in vCenter Server converter.
What's new in VMware vCenter Converter 5.5?
- Support for virtual machine hardware version 10 (62TB disks, virtual SATA controllers, etc.)
- Support for RedHat KVM virtual machines as a (powered on) source
- A new option for selecting the network adapter for the target virtual machine
- Support for additional guest operating systems
- Parallel disk conversions
- Virtual SAN support