vFabric – a new data management and application-scaling layer.
The vFabric together with vCloud Director, vShield and View 4.5 was discussed in last Tuesday's keynote here . You can register for free and watch the whole keynote (over 1.5 hour of video and slides). It's worthy to get the idea and watch all the news you missed by not attending this year's VMworld.
Three major layers of the IT stack that we feel are critical to delivering IT as a service—cloud infrastructure and management, cloud application platform, and end user computing—and lays out our roadmap for addressing it.
vFabric – a new data management and application-scaling layer designed to give developers access to the services that make cloud computing compelling. The Java development tools and a lightweight application server together with associated services for companies that want to build reliable load-balancing and application performance management apps for a cloud environment. To provide for Java developers an infrastructure for standardized applications for the cloud environment.
The vFabric product family is central to that effort, providing “the modern, integrated platform services that are required to power the next generation of cloud applications,” said Shaun Connolly, vice president of SpringSource Product Management at VMware.
A quick quote of Rod Johnson, the creator of Spring:
With the rise of virtualization and modern development frameworks, a fundamentally more productive and portable approach to delivering new applications has emerged, We're moving into an era where developers can build great applications and immediately deploy those applications onto a modern platform that provisions and configures itself on demand and intelligently runs and scales the application based on policy.
“The products and services we are launching today provide a comprehensive enterprise architecture that will deliver the agility and economics of the cloud with the security and quality of service our enterprise customers need.”
VMware vFabric is comprised of the following:
- The Spring framework used by millions of developers to build modern applications.
- VMware vFabric tc Server: An enterprise version of Apache Tomcat application server that is optimized for Spring and VMware vSphere
- VMware vFabric GemFire: A data management platform that provides real-time access to globally distributed data, speeding performance and eliminating database bottlenecks
- VMware vFabric Enterprise Ready Server (ERS): An enterprise version of the Apache web server that distributes and balances application load, ensuring application performance
- VMware vFabric Hyperic: Proactive performance management solution for transparent visibility into modern applications in physical, virtual, and cloud environments
- RabbitMQ: A cloud-ready messaging service that facilitates communications between apps both inside and outside the datacenter