Yes, it is awesome announce from VMware. During the keynote, VMware announced the upcoming release of VMware Workstation 12.5 which will be free for All VMworld attendees (via VMworld App). Just download the VMworld app and click the Redeem Now button. VMware Workstation 12.5 VMware Fusion 8.5 – Free Upgrade.
This release also allows upgrades from very old, v7 or higher versions of VMware Workstation. VMware Fusion 8.5 in on the news as well.
VMware Workstation has been around for a long time. Regularly updated with new features and new OS support, the product has matured now. Check the latest post of mine – Workstation 12 with 40 new features released and also the 12.1 free upgrade, which fixes a lot of bugs.
We’ve also changed how users can upgrade to the latest release. Users are eligible for upgrade pricing going back to Workstation 7. So, if you have an old Workstation license and haven’t upgraded in a few years, there’s never been a better time to upgrade!
VMware Fusion Users
There is similar news for Fusion users….
This year we are delivering Fusion 8.5 and Fusion 8.5 Pro, and the big surprise is this: It’s a free upgrade for all current-version customers. So, if you’re on Fusion 8.1.1, you’re going to be able to upgrade to the latest Fusion with full support for macOS Sierra and Windows 10 Anniversary edition, for free. We’ll also be addingWindows Server 2016 support when it comes available.
Note that those are just announced, for now. The products are not available for download just yet, so not immediate release…
Get Free copy of VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion via VMworld app!!!
Note that we do not have the details on which new OS exactly will be supported (outside of Windows Server 2016). You can check bellow what has been added in the v12 of Workstation.
VMware Workstation 12 Features
that VMware Workstation 12 Pro now supportsDirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3. Workstation also supports 4k displays (3840 x 2160), but also allows to have multiple displays each one with different resolutions.
Monster VMs can be created. Imagine a VM with 16 vCPUs, 8 TB virtual disks, and 64 GB of memory running inside VMware Workstation 12. You can also allocate up to 2Gb of video memory to VMs…. Pretty awesome. Concerning multimedia and audio, a HD audio with 7.1 surround sound is supported.
Also USB 3.0, and Bluetooth devices allows to connect to your VM the latest hardware like webcam, headset, or printer. USB 3.0 is supported also in Windows 7 besides Windows 8.
- Run Windows 10 as a virtual machine
- Run Windows 10 as a host operating system
- Windows 10 Auto Detect and Easy Install
- Unity support for Windows 10
- Migrate Windows 10 PC to a virtual machine
- Automatically suspend virtual machines upon host shutdown
- Support 4K monitors with high resolution UI
- Support for multiple monitors with different DPI settings
- Echo cancellation for voice and video calls with Microsoft Lync and Skype
- Added USB 3.0 support to Windows 7 virtual machines (with the latest Intel USB driver)
- Improved standard installer
- Added NAT network configuration in Virtual Network Editor on Linux hosts
- Respect left-handed mouse setting on Windows host