VMware VDP as a solution, when deployed in firewalled environment, needs some ports to be opened in order to function properly. Here is a list of ports that are used by vSphere Data Protection (VDP) 5.1. Note that there are some ports that are used in the VDP VDP advanced. Those are ports 28001 and 29000. (two last rows).
The VDP product is bundled with vSphere Essentials Plus and higher VMware licensing packages. The VDP advanced is product which can be ordered separately. VDP advanced has more features, can backup more VMs, and has agents to backup Exchange or SQL VMs too….
I've already reported on the differences between VDP Standard and VDP advanced in my article here. You can also check my article on how this product compares to other products for backup and DR of VMware environments.
|22||TCP||User||VDP||ssh (for debugging)|
|700||TCP||VDP, LDAP||Active Directory||Loginmgr tool|
|8509||TCP||vCenter||VDP||Tomcat AJP Connector|
|8543||TCP||User||VDP||Redirect for Tomcat|
|9443||TCP||vCenter||VDP||VDP Web Services|
|28001||TCP||MS App Client||VDP Advanced||Client software(Exchange or SQL agent)*|
|29000||TCP||MS App Client||VDP Advanced||Client software(Exchange or SQL agent)*|
VDP installation and planning can be tricky, since you must plan ahead when sizing the repositories. I've done a series of articles which might help out with the process.
VMware VDP Setup and configuration.
- Part 1 – vSphere Data Protection (VDP) – install, configure, manage
- Part 2: vSphere Data Protection (VDP) – backup and master
- Part 3: vSphere Data Protection (VDP) – restore operations
- Upgrade 5.0 > 5.1.x: How-to Upgrade VDP – Upgrading vSphere Data protection with the Upgrade ISO
- Possibly needed: How-to reset root password in VDP
- Might help:VMware VDP Logs – locate and troubleshoot (+ divers tips)
- News: VMware vSphere Data protection (VDP) Advanced Version
- How to migrate backups from VDR to VDP
Feel free to subscribe to our RSS feed.