Another frequent update from this small backup vendor. Small vendor, but neat product allowing you to backup even ESXi Free VMs. Let's have a look what they bring this time. I reported recently that they successfully added incremental and differential backups to Hyper-V, incremental replication between two ESXi hosts and also recently compatibility with latest VMware vSphere 7.0.
There aren't many products allowing you to replicate VMs which runs on ESXi free. In fact, they're using some “secret sauce” to backup VMs runing on ESXi free as this version of VMware hypervisor normally has some APIs locked down (read-only) so they aren't available for the backup software which uses those for incremental and differential backups. However Iperius is able to do so even with this restriction.
The installation takes only a couple of minutes because the software has a very small footprint. A while back, we have done full review of the product here. However, this product review did not include the new and important incremental/differential backup features present now. But it gives you a good idea of what to expect after download.
What's new in Iperius Backup and Replication 7.1.1?
From the release notes.
- File-level restore from virtual machine backups (VMDK, VHD, VHDX): now the XFS file system (CentOS and RedHat virtual machines) is fully supported
- ESXi backup: now the log also shows the name of the numbered folder where the CBT backup is done (001, 002 ..)
- Drive image: any mounted virtual disks are now automatically excluded in the backup configuration
- Hyper-V Backup: error handling has been improved
The previous release of Iperius brought the compatibility with vSphere 7.
Iperius can be installed on Windows computers/servers and you have the option to send the backup to your NAS, store it locally or send it to the cloud for offsite storage.
Iperius Backup Main Features
- Hot backup of ESXi, ESXi Free.
- Hot backup of Hyper-V VMs.
- VM Replication from host to host and from datastore to datastore.
- Incremental replication also on ESXi Free.
- Incremental and differential ESXi backup (CBT/VDDK).
- Backup to disk, network, Cloud, NAS and LTO Tape.
- Restore of ESXi and Hyper-V virtual machines also to different hosts.
- Restore of individual files.
- Application Consistent backups of Linux Virtual Machines with pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts
- Incremental and differential backup (RCT) of Hyper-V.
Iperius can automatically create “Application Consistent” backups even of Linux virtual machines, by quiescing the file system with pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts.
A really interesting product for SMBs.
An easy to use scheduling feature allows automatic execution according to the Weekly, Monthly, or after a predetermined period of time.
You only need a single license to protect all your production environment, so no per-socket licensing. With a single license, you protect an unlimited number of virtual machines that are running in your local environment.
All Iperius Backup licenses are Lifetime and include Free updates and support. Check out the different versions of Iperius Backup on this page.
Link to Iperius Website where you can download a Free Trial there.
Some options you have for the backup job. This is the default settings….
There is quite a big value in this product which, so far and this product is not very well known among IT community. It's been also added to our Free Tools page as it is a valuable tool for IT admins. Check it out. Yes, Iperius backup has also a free version -:).
More from ESX Virtualization
- vSphere 7.0 Page [All details about vSphere and related products here]
- How to use vSphere Update Manager to update ESXi with the latest VMware Tools?
- VMware vSphere 7.0 Announced – vCenter Server Details
- VMware vSphere 7.0 DRS Improvements – What's New
- Upgrade from ESXi 6.7 to 7.0 ESXi Free