During today's lab post we will do an upgrade from ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 via CLI and we will be using a zip file called VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) Offline Bundle. At the end of the post, you'll see a video of the process. If you follow this blog on regular basis you can see that we have already migrated one of our ESXi 6.0 host to ESXi 6.5 via ISO/CD-ROM and that we have also done some posts about migrating vCenter 6.0 (Windows) to VCSA 6.5 or simply In-place migration 6.0 to 6.5 (on Windows). Today's post is about How to upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 via Offline Bundle.
The VMware vSphere Hypervisor (ESXi) Offline Bundle file is a zip file and allows to upgrade ESXi hosts via CLI or via VMware Update Manager (VUM). Today we'll do the CLI method. You can follow all vSphere 6.5 and ESXi how-to articles on our vSphere 6.5 dedicated WordPress page.
The offline bundle is only available for VMware customers on paid subscription license, so If you want to use today's method, but don't have an access to download this file, you may want to upgrade via ISO or via VMware Online repository (Internet access required).
How to upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 via Offline Bundle – The Steps:
Step 0: Make sure that you have visited VMware HCL and checked that your hardware (pNICs, storage controllers etc…) are on the list for the 6.5 release. Check the Firmware and Drivers combination for ESXi 6.5… You may want to check my detailed post where I was checking for my NICs. It's not always obvious, but better check before the upgrade…..
Step 1: Shutdown all VMs running on your ESXi host machine, put your host into maintenance mode and then connect to your ESXi server via SSH.
Step 2: upload the VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-depot.zip file to a datastore visible to your ESXi host.
Step 3: Run this command to upgrade…
esxcli software profile update -p ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-standard -d /vmfs/volumes/your_datastore/VMware-ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-depot.zip
Where “your_datastore” is the datastore where you have uploaded the file.
After checking that your upgrade was successful, reboot your host. You should see a message saying that the upgrade completed successfully.
That's about it. You have upgraded your ESXi host to the latest VMware ESXi 6.5 version.
Note: As you can see, the “old” vSphere C# client still works for individual host access. You can also access the host via the html5 web based host client which is accessible via https://ip_of_your_host/ui
If you like, you can watch a quick video where I was upgrading one of my lab hosts.
You can check all posts about vSphere 6.5 on my vSphere 6.5 dedicated WordPress page.
VMware vSphere 6.5:
- How to deploy VMware VCSA 6.5 (VMware vCenter Server Appliance)
- How to Migrate Windows based vCenter Server 6.0 to vCenter 6.5 (In-Place)
- How to Migrate Windows Based vCenter to VCSA 6.5 [Lab]
- How to Install VCSA 6.5 in VMware Workstation [LAB]
- How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.5 via ISO
- How to upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 via Offline Bundle
- How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.5 via CLI [On Line]
- How to create a USB media with ESXi 6.5 Installation
- VMware vSphere 6.5 Released – Start Your Download Engines
Some ESXi CLI commands:
- ESXi Commands List – networking commands
- ESXi CLI Networking commands – Part 2
- ESXi Commands List – Getting Started
- ESXi Commands List – Snapshot Deletion Monitoring
- ESXi Commands List – Storage