This is a follow-up learning post on a post we did recently, where we have upgraded an ESXi host via an ISO image. Today, we’ll learn how to upgrade ESXi 6.0 via Command line interface (CLI). The process of ESXi upgrade has been already documented on this blog, for previous releases (ESXi 5.x > ESXi 6.0), and we used the .ZIP upgrade file. You can read this how-to post here. But today we’ll learn How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.5 via CLI and we’ll do another method which consists of upgrading via a VMware Online depot.
Why would you want to upgrade you ESXi host via VMware online depot? It is easy to upgrade an ESXi host and also, for users who do not have easy access to the GA Offline bundle (Free ESXi users). You’ll need an internet connection on the host you’ll want to upgrade. If you have a host which does not have an internet connection, then you can simply use one of the two above.
How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.5 via CLI – The steps:
Step 1: Enable SSH and connect to your ESXi host via Putty (or alternative)
Step 2: Enable firewall rule (allow) for web traffic
esxcli network firewall ruleset set -e true -r httpClient
Step 2: Run this command to see the VMware online depot and the different profiles you can upgrade from.
esxcli software sources profile list -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml | grep -i ESXi-6
to list available profiles. (or do just the same but with …”ESXi-6.5″ at the end of the command, to see just the 2 profiles corresponding to ESXi 6.5).
There are Two profiles which interests us.. Let’s pickup the one with “no-tools”…
Step 3: Run the upgrade with this command:
esxcli software profile update -p ESXi-6.5.0-4564106-no-tools -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml
Step 4: Reboot the host to complete the upgrade.
Here is a video detailing the steps.
Please note that in the video I only listed the ESXi 6.5 versions from online depot… so I actually used this command to filter the available online profiles:
esxcli software sources profile list -d https://hostupdate.vmware.com/software/VUM/PRODUCTION/main/vmw-depot-index.xml | grep -i ESXi-6.5
You can check all posts about vSphere 6.5 on my vSphere 6.5 dedicated WordPress page.
Installs, migrations, lab…
- How to Migrate Windows based vCenter Server 6.0 to vCenter 6.5 (In-Place)
- How to Migrate Windows Based vCenter to VCSA 6.5 [Lab]
- How to Install VCSA 6.5 in VMware Workstation [LAB]
- How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.5 via ISO
- How to Upgrade ESXi 6.0 to 6.5 via CLI – [This Post]
- How to upgrade ESXi 6.0 to ESXi 6.5 via Offline Bundle
- VMware vSphere 6.5 Released – Start Your Download Engines
VMware vSphere 6.5
- VMware vSphere 6.5 Announced !!
- VMware vSphere 6.5 – Native vCenter High Availability (VCSA 6.5 only)
- VMware vSphere 6.5 – HTML5 Web Client and More
- VMware vSphere 6.5 – VUM, AutoDeploy, and Host Profiles
- VMware vSphere 6.5 – HA and DRS Improvements
- VMware vSphere 6.5 Fault Tolerance (FT) Improvements
- VMware VSAN 6.5 – What’s New?
- VMware vSphere 6.5 – VM Encryption Details