During VMworld Barcelona 2018 I went to see Vembu software at their stand. This vendor isn't located far away from Reunion Island. In fact, they are from Chennai (India) so part of the culture from Reunion is same as there as part of our population came from India when slavery was abolished, to work at the sugar plantations. Same for Chinese, African, European and other cultures. As such, at Reunion and in India there was a celebration of Diwali (Festival of Light) during the Barcelona event.
Back to Vembu. They're pretty active when it comes to new releases and updates to their software, Vembu BDR Suite. They're protecting virtual and physical workloads, VMware and Hyper-V infrastructures. They're about to release v 4.0 of their software (our post) and while there with my camera, I've asked a few questions about the product and also about what's on the roadmap.
They've been kind enough to share the roadmap document with me and it's pretty interesting to find an Application-Aware backup for Oracle DBs for example. This is something you usually don't find (with few exceptions) within the SMB space.
Another thing which is interesting is to know that they'll introduce VM backup from Storage Snapshots, a feature that only a couple of other backup vendors do. Expect HPE, IBM integration, perhaps few others, in the future.
Busy to find some free slot with Nagarajan…
Then there are few others features, as they need to catch up other vendors in this space. Features for Hyper-V installations like, for example, just recently they announced in the v4.0 the Hyper-V cluster backup, and on their roadmap, there is Hyper-V Replication and Failover too. So expect feature parity (or almost) on vSphere and Hyper-V even if there is more vSphere then Hyper-V installations around.
Also, they're preparing to support Nutanix AHV hypervisor.
Please find below the roadmap, but as you know, this can easily change in the future, so don't take it for granted.
The following are the list of feature which is planned to be released in the year of 2019
1. VM Backup from Storage Snapshots
2. Agentless Backup for AWS Instances
3. Agentless Backup for Nutanix AHV
4. Application-aware backups for Oracle DB
5. Hyper-V VM Replication & Failover
6. SCVMM support
7. Restore the backed up VMs and Physical machines to Microsoft Azure
8. Instant VM boot on AWS
9. Web-based GUI for Vembu Universal Explorer (Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, AD, and Oracle)
10. Planned Failover for VMware & Hyper-V replicas
11. VM Replication from the backup data
12. Live VM Migration
13. File-level restore to the source VM and Physical machine
14. Parallel processing of VMs during Backup and Restore
15. Supporting Rotated Disks in Backup Infrastructure
16. Option to run scripts and commands(Pre-Freeze and Post-Thaw scripts) at VM level during the Pre and Post backup job
17. Synthetic full backups
18. Active Directory Integration
19. Backup Copy Feature – Secondary Copy to external drives
Note: These features are subject to change without any notice.
Our previous articles about Vembu BDR suite, including VembuHIVE shows that some things are different when it comes to storing backed up data. This allows those data to access faster and different manners. For example, it’s quicker to have the recovered disks ready when they are “built” by assembling metadata and ready to go rather than copying or moving things around.
Vembu quick restore can be fast because the backups for VMware, Hyper-V and Physical Windows Disk Image backups are stored at block level in a neutral format. (in a DB) and presents those backups through the Vembu Virtual Drive. This allows instantly restore any incremental backup in any virtual disk format including VHD, VHDX, VMDK, VMDK-FLAT or IMG.
The technology behind this is called VembuHIVE. The backup application can instantly associate the data in VembuHIVE to any file system metadata. It can read the image file directly without mounting it. It has built-in versioning and error corrections.
It is an efficient cloud file system designed for large-scale backup and disaster recovery (BDR) application.
Vembu BDR Free Version is a full-featured version which is limited to 3 VMs within your environment. This is a smart move as it allows you to test different functions you might need, for few VMs, and then decide by yourself, whether it fits your needs or not.
Check out Vembu BDR suite details here
More about Vembu on ESX Virtualization:
- P2V, V2V or V2P Migrations with Vembu BDR
- Vembu BDR 3.9.1 Update 1 Supports vSphere 6.7
- How to restore Individual Files via Vembu BDR
- Vembu BDR Suite – Back to Business in few minutes with Quick VM Recovery
- Vembu BDR Suite Free Edition – Details and Compare
More from ESX Virtualization:
- Free Tools
- What is VMware DRS (Distributed Resource Scheduler)?
- What is VMware vMotion?
- What is VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit Term
- What is VMware Enhanced vMotion Compatibility (EVC)