There is a new release of Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 v2 and Veeam has released this after several months of heavy development. This new release has also a possibility for SMB and Home Users to use this product as “Community Edition” allowing to backup to up to 10 users for Free. So this post will detail the Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Community Edition.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 has also a SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business support with also group mail, OneDrive, sites and also other SharePoint sites. The product uses the same format of backed up data as native Exchange Server engine – Extensive Storage Engine (ESE) so you can use Free tools, “Veeam Explorers” from Veeam to explore those backups (Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint and Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange).
Recovery options allow you to use the in-built send and save possibility where you can to send any items as an attachment or save any items locally to your hard drive. You can also export Microsoft Exchange data using Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange utility.
The community version is the same product but has some limitations. Let's have a look.
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Community Edition – The Limits
- Maximum number of Exchange Online users: 10
- Maximum number of OneDrive for Business users: 10 users associated with the same 10 Exchange Online users
- The maximum amount of SharePoint data protected: 1TB
- Best effort support (no SLA guarantee, email only, but there are also forums, community)
Full Release Notes (PDF) is here
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 – Here is the overview of the UI
Quote from Veeam Website:
Veeam® Backup for Microsoft Office 365 Community Edition provides FREE backup and recovery of Office 365 Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business, eliminating the risk of losing access and control over your Office 365 data – specifically designed for Office 365 implementations of 10 users or less.
Whether you’re a startup or an established small business, it is imperative that your Office 365 data is Hyper-Available and protected.
Where to install?
You can install on a physical system or in a VM (4 cores minimum) with 8Gb of RAM and 500 Mb of disk space. While you can install it on two different systems, I’d prefer to have it on the same machine IMHO.
Anything x64 from Windows 7 up to all the way up Windows Server 2019.
Note: Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 server can be deployed on core editions too. Microsoft Windows Server 2016 LTSC, 1709 and (or) Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
Screenshot from the Overview PDF
anything from local folder on backup proxy, DAS, SAN, SMB 3.0 share….
Tip: What is Veeam proxy?
A completely new product from Veeam just a few months back now in v2.0 already. It's a very good strategy (as usually, that's why we like Veeam) to allow this product being used for backup of 10 users for free so admins can really get used to this product and start using it without additional cost.
More About Veeam from ESX Virtualization
- Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 Update 3a Released Supporting vSphere 6.7 – Download Now
- Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 Update 4 Announced
- Veeam Availability Console Released (VAC)
- Veeam Backup and Replication 9.5 and Veeam B&R for Office 365 Details
More from ESX Virtualization:
- How-to Upgrade ESXi 6.x to 6.7 via vSphere Update Manager (VUM)
- Windows 10 with ReFS For Veeam Backup Repository
- Cross vCenter Workload Migration Utility – Free Tool
- StarWind Virtual Tape Library (VTL) for Veeam and AWS further details