Many of our readers already know this FREE tool called StarWind V2V Converter (P2V Migrator), however not well known for all its capabilities. StarWind V2V Converter is a free-to-download tool that allows conversion and cloning of VMs and virtual disks from one format to another and can be used when migration or hypervisor switch is required. The solution also enables to convert a physical machine to a virtual one and convert a virtual or physical machine to a Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services instance. StarWind V2V Converter also enables to migrate a virtual machine or disk from one Amazon Web Services to Microsoft Azure and vice versa.
Compared to other converters from virtualization vendors that are “unidirectional” and able to convert only into the format of that particular virtualization vendor, StarWind V2V Converter performs bi-directional conversion between multiple VM formats. The software supports the most widely used formats: VMDK, VHD/VHDX (Windows Repair Mode aware), StarWind native IMG and QCOW.
In the dynamic world of virtualization, businesses often find themselves needing to migrate workloads from one hypervisor to another. Whether it's due to hardware upgrades, changing business requirements, or the desire for a more efficient virtualization platform, the process can be complex and time-consuming. However, with StarWind V2V Converter, the task of converting workloads between hypervisors becomes seamless and hassle-free. In this blog post, we will explore the possibilities and benefits of using StarWind V2V Converter to streamline the workload conversion process.
Understanding the Need for Workload Conversion
As businesses evolve, so do their IT infrastructures. This often involves transitioning from one hypervisor platform to another, such as migrating from VMware to Hyper-V, or vice versa. The reasons behind these conversions can vary, ranging from cost savings and performance improvements to compatibility requirements with specific software or hardware vendors. However, the challenge lies in the smooth migration of existing virtual machines (VMs) and their associated workloads.
StarWind V2V Converter is a powerful and user-friendly tool designed to simplify the process of converting workloads from one hypervisor to another. It provides a comprehensive solution for businesses seeking to migrate their VMs seamlessly without the need for costly and time-consuming manual configurations. With support for a wide range of hypervisor platforms, including VMware, Hyper-V, and KVM, StarWind V2V Converter ensures compatibility across different virtualization environments.
P2V – StarWind V2V Converter allows migrating physical environment to virtual one with a minimum interaction of IT administrator.
With P2V feature there is no need to build VMs for a physical server from scratch as V2V will simply convert a physical box into a VM.
- Conversion to and from the public cloud – StarWind V2V Converter supports conversion of VMs and virtual disks to/from the public cloud. Cross-cloud conversion is also supported.
- Windows Repair Mode – StarWind V2V Converter makes migration between different hardware sets easier, supporting Windows Repair Mode during conversion to VHDX. This way, the VM automatically adapts to the given hardware environment, negating any compatibility problems.
- Zero-Copy – StarWind V2V Converter allows easily converting VM formats directly from one hypervisor to another. Conversion process becomes simpler as there is no need to create copies of the source and destination VM files on the local machine.
- Hypervisor Switch – StarWind V2V Converter supports all industry-standard hypervisors including Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware ESXi, Citrix XenServer, and KVM. By converting VMs from and to any selected format, it allows easily migrating between different hypervisors.
- Supported formats – StarWind V2V Converter supports all modern formats such as VMDK, VHDX/VHD, RAW IMG, QCOW2, and StarWind native IMG files. It works both ways, converting from and to any selected format, thus having better functionality than similar converters.
One small remarque:
Note: While the tool's name is “V2V Converter”, at the same time, there are P2C capabilities! Don't ask me why
Key Features and Benefits
StarWind V2V Converter offers a host of features and benefits that make it an ideal choice for workload conversion:
Intuitive User Interface – The tool provides a user-friendly interface that simplifies the conversion process. With a few clicks, users can initiate the conversion and monitor its progress, making it accessible to both IT professionals and non-technical staff.
Wide Hypervisor Support – StarWind V2V Converter supports popular hypervisor platforms, including VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Linux KVM. This flexibility allows organizations to switch between hypervisors without concerns about compatibility issues.
Conversion Options – The tool offers various conversion options, such as converting virtual disks between different formats (VMDK, VHD, VHDX, etc.), adjusting VM hardware settings, and ensuring compatibility with the target hypervisor.
Automation and Batch Conversion – StarWind V2V Converter allows for bulk conversion of multiple VMs, saving time and effort. The automation capabilities streamline the process, enabling IT teams to focus on other critical tasks.
Performance Optimization – During the conversion process, StarWind V2V Converter optimizes the performance of the migrated workloads, ensuring efficient resource utilization and minimal downtime.
Convert Physical Machine to new Virtual Machine
There are 4 different virtual machine formats supported:
- Convert Physical Machine to Amazon Web Services
- Convert Physical Machine to Microsoft Azure
- Convert Physical Machine to remote Microsoft Hyper-V Server
- Convert Physical Machine to remote VMware ESXi Server
Convert Physical Disk into another disk format
In addition to this, you can also convert a physical disk into another disk format. Here are the different options:
- Convert Physical Disk to VHD\VHDX
- Convert Physical Disk to VMDK
- Convert Physical Disk to IMG/RAW
- Convert Physical Disk to QCOW2
- Convert Physical Disk to Remote Microsoft Hyper-V Server
- Convert Physical Disk to Remote VMware ESXi Server Datastore
- Convert Physical Disk to Virtual Machine on the Remote Microsoft Hyper-V Server
- Convert Physical Disk to Virtual Machine on the Remote VMware ESXi Server
- Convert Physical Disk to Microsoft Azure
- Convert Physical Disk to Amazon Web Services
Another Option – Convert Volume to Virtual Disk
- Convert Volume to VMDK
- Convert Volume to VHD/VHDX
- Convert Volume to QCOW2
- Convert Volume to IMG/RAW
- Convert Volume to Microsoft Hyper-V Server
- Convert Volume to Virtual Machine in the Microsoft Hyper-V
- Convert Volume to VMware ESXi Server
- Convert Volume to Virtual Machine in the VMware ESXi Server
- Convert Volume to Amazon Web Services
- Convert Volume to Microsoft Azure
Step-by-Step Conversion Process
Converting workloads with StarWind V2V Converter is a straightforward process:
- Select the source – Choose the VM or VMs you want to convert from the source hypervisor.
- Choose the target hypervisor – Select the desired hypervisor platform where you want to migrate the VM.
- Customize settings (optional) – Adjust VM hardware settings, disk format, and other conversion options according to your requirements.
- Initiate the conversion – Start the conversion process and monitor the progress through the intuitive interface.
- Verify and deploy – Once the conversion is complete, validate the migrated VMs on the target hypervisor and ensure they are functioning as expected.
Screenshot from StarWind showing the different capabilities and formats on the input and on the output.
As you know, VMware converter tool, recently finally updated, is able to do its job, but only if you converting into a VMware format. If you have different needs of conversion, you need to look for other tool. StarWind's V2V converter (P2V Migrator) is Free, and has many different options not only converting whole Systems, but also disks or volumes (partitions).
In the ever-evolving landscape of virtualization, the ability to seamlessly convert workloads between hypervisors is crucial for businesses. StarWind V2V Converter simplifies this process by providing a user-friendly interface, extensive hypervisor support, and advanced conversion options, enabling organizations to transition their workloads effortlessly while maximizing efficiency and minimizing downtime.
Link: StarWind V2V Converter (P2V Migrator)
More posts about StarWind on ESX Virtualization:
- Cluster with 2-Nodes only – How about quorum?
- StarWind VSAN Latest update allows faster synchronization with storing synchronization journals on separate storage
- How to Update StarWind VSAN for VMware on Linux- Follow UP
- Protect your Backups with Wasabi Immutable Storage Buckets and StarWind VTL
- StarWind SAN & NAS software details for VMware and Hyper-V
- Free StarWind iSCSI accelerator download
- VMware vSphere and HyperConverged 2-Node Scenario from StarWind – Step By Step(Opens in a new browser tab)
- StarWind Storage Gateway for Wasabi Released
- How To Create NVMe-Of Target With StarWind VSAN
- Veeam 3-2-1 Backup Rule Now With Starwind VTL
- StarWind and Highly Available NFS
- StarWind VVOLS Support and details of integration with VMware vSphere
- StarWind VSAN on 3 ESXi Nodes detailed setup
- VMware VSAN Ready Nodes in StarWind HyperConverged Appliance
More posts from ESX Virtualization:
- Homelab v 8.0 (NEW)
- vSphere 8.0 Page (NEW)
- Veeam Bare Metal Recovery Without using USB Stick (TIP)
- ESXi 7.x to 8.x upgrade scenarios
- A really FREE VPN that doesn’t suck
- Patch your ESXi 7.x again
- VMware vCenter Server 7.03 U3g – Download and patch
- Upgrade VMware ESXi to 7.0 U3 via command line
- VMware vCenter Server 7.0 U3e released – another maintenance release fixing vSphere with Tanzu
- What is The Difference between VMware vSphere, ESXi and vCenter
- How to Configure VMware High Availability (HA) Cluster
Stay tuned through RSS, and social media channels (Twitter, FB, YouTube)
Leave a Reply